Training and Consulting Philosophy
- Principles of adult learning The HandsOn Training Department facilitates self-directed learning, guiding participants to their own knowledge that will help them achieve their goals; building on their own experiences; focusing on relevant, applicable, and practical subjects; and respecting the equality of all learners..
- Practitioner-based best practices The HandsOn Training Department leverages industry experts to facilitate learning. These experts, known as Leadership Faculty, are HandsOn staff, board members, volunteers, and AmeriCorps alumni who have been identified for their specific knowledge and experience to serve as facilitators. The HandsOn Training Department relies on the real-world experience and expertise offered by its practitioner-based Leadership Faculty and national staff.
- Collaborative and interactive design Sessions are delivered in a highly interactive manner in order to provoke discussion among participants. A combination of lecture, printed materials, demonstration, discussion, experiential activities, and extensive hands-on practice is utilized to help all types of learners explore content in a manner that is concrete and easily applicable to their roles within an organization or community.
- Practical resources for innovation, action, and impact Facilitators provide participants with guidebooks, worksheets, checklists, and other supporting materials so they can easily activate their learning.
- Needs of the target audience The HandsOn training and consulting staff works collaboratively with clients in the curriculum development and training design phase to ensure that the session is completely customized to meet the unique needs of the organization and individuals.
Don’t let your learning lead to knowledge;
let your learning lead to action.
~ Jim Rohn
- Nonprofits & Government
The Points of Light Corporate Institute is the go-to resource for community-minded companies looking to build and expand effective employee volunteer programs.
HandsOn Action Centers
HandsOn Volunteer Action Centers put people at the center of change, delivering high-impact programming in more than 200 communities worldwide.
We have classes available 24/7, for you to take at your own pace.
Points of Light has partnered with Kansas State University to create a unique opportunity to sharpen your community leadership skills. The Community-Engaged Leadership Certificate is a 12 credit-hour course during which students will have the opportunity to bridge theory and hands-on experience.
Check out our training calendar to register for live instructor-led classes. You can also browse hundreds of our previous recorded sessions at Points of Light’s Learning Center.
Sign up for eVolve, a monthly newsletter which includes topics on the latest training trends and provides electronic technical assistance on related topics.
The Leadership Faculty expands our capacity to provide training, through leadership and consulting services.