Training and Consulting Philosophy
As the training and consulting division of HandsOn Network, the largest volunteer network in the nation, HandsOn University (HOU) offers training curriculum and consulting services that are dynamic, innovative, impact oriented, and easily applicable in various settings. HOU training and consulting services are based on:
- Principles of adult learning HOU facilitates self-directed learning, guiding participants to their own knowledge that will help them achieve their goals; building on their own experiences; focusing on relevant, applicable, and practical subjects; and respecting the equality of all learners..
- Practitioner-based best practices HOU leverages industry experts to facilitate learning. These experts, known as Leadership Faculty, are HandsOn staff, board members, volunteers, and AmeriCorps alumni who have been identified for their specific knowledge and experience to serve as facilitators. HOU relies on the real-world experience and expertise offered by its practitioner-based Leadership Faculty and national staff.
- Collaborative and interactive design Sessions are delivered in a highly interactive manner in order to provoke discussion among participants. A combination of lecture, printed materials, demonstration, discussion, experiential activities, and extensive hands-on practice is utilized to help all types of learners explore content in a manner that is concrete and easily applicable to their roles within an organization or community.
- Practical resources for innovation, action, and impact Facilitators provide participants with guidebooks, worksheets, checklists, and other supporting materials so they can easily activate their learning.
- Needs of the target audience HOU staff works collaboratively with clients in the curriculum development and training design phase to ensure that the session is completely customized to meet the unique needs of the organization and individuals.
Don’t let your learning lead to knowledge;
let your learning lead to action.
~ Jim Rohn
Nonprofits & Government
How your agency can effectively utilize the talents of people who serve…
How your company can engage employees in volunteer service while addressing the Nation’s most critical needs…
HandsOn Action Centers
HandsOn Volunteer Action Centers put people at the center of change, delivering high-impact programming in more than 200 communities worldwide.